Egg Free Chocolate Cake
This delicious chocolate cake is a firm family favourite.
Every birthday the kids choose this cake, and as often as they can in between!
- 14 oz (3 cups) plain flour
- 8 oz (1 1/4 cups) sugar
- 1tsp bicarb
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp cocoa
- pinch salt
- 1/2 pt (1 cup) oil
- 1/2 pt (1 cup) milk
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- Mix all the ingredients together in a big mixing bowl. You don’t need to beat it, just stirring thoroughly is enough.
- Either use two sandwich tins or one large rectangular tin. I always use a rectangular tin with non-stick baking parchment in the bottom.
- Bake for 35 mins gas 4/180c, or until springy when lightly pressed.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 mins, then turn out onto a cooling rack.
- I use chocolate fudge icing for the top of my cake – Sift 1tbsp cocoa and 8 oz icing sugar into a bowl. Melt 2 oz butter, 1tbsp milk and 2 tbsp water in a small saucepan. Add the liquid to the icing sugar and stir thoroughly. Leave it to thicken and cool down slightly and then spread on top of the cake. This icing hardens if you leave it for a couple of hours or so.
- You can omit the cocoa, add slightly more flour and any other ingredients of your choice, try mashed banana, or apples for a change.