Yummy Date Slice
This is a scrumptious date slice with a bit of a crunch to it.
Don’t be put off by the long list of ingredients – it is simple to make and I can guarantee that everyone will love it!
- 12 oz butter
- 2.5 cups semolina
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 1lb dates
- 2 tbsp honey
- 10 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Gently melt butter in a large saucepan. Add semolina, flour, baking powder and sugar. Mix until combined thoroughly.
- Chop the dates in thirds with scissors or a sharp knife. Put into a medium sized saucepan with the honey, water, lemon juice and cinnamon. Heat gently until thick and gooey, don’t overdo it, this should only take a few minutes!
- Spread half of the crumbly mixture into the bottom of a large baking tray (mine is about 30 x 25cm and about 5 cm high). I also use a re-usable non-stick liner so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom. Smooth the mixture down with the back of a spoon.
- Spread the date jam evenly over the crunch mixture with the back of a spoon. If it sticks then it will help to run the spoon under warm water, then try again.
- Spoon the rest of the crunch mixture over the top of the date jam and gently press with hands.
- Bake for 30 – 35 mins, or until golden at 190c gas 4-5. Leave to cool completely in the tray before taking out and slicing.
This makes a VERY BIG date crunch. I use a large baking tray and it is nearly full. It makes about 20 generous slices. If you don’t want to make this much you can easily halve the recipe. It is also suitable for freezing.