As part of my ‘cutting down on plastic’ campaign I have decided to start making my own toiletries.
Number one was deodorant. You won’t believe how easy it is to make, and how effective it is! You won’t need to buy deodorant again once you have tried this.
Download this Home-made Deodorant Recipe (PDF).
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp arrowroot/seasalt
- 5 drops teatree essential oil
- 5 drops citricidal (this is grapefruit seed extract from the health shop), OR
- 5 drops vitamin e oil (you can open a vitamin e capsule)
- 7 drops essential oil of your choice
- Mix baking soda, coconut oil and arrowroot/seasalt in a pestle and mortar.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix again.
- Spoon into a tin or small jar with a tight fitting lid.
You apply the deodorant with the finger tip. You only need a moderate amount
(probably about 1/2 tsp under each arm).
If you find that you have any reaction then stop using the deodorant and try a
slightly different recipe – try substituting cornstarch for the salt.