Gaura’s Vegan Fruit Cake
This is a brilliant recipe as it is sooo quick and easy to make! It is delicious, and everyone loves it – vegans and non-vegans alike.
It is light and fluffy without using eggs and is a great ‘store-cupboard’ cake.
- 12 oz wholemeal/plain flour (2 1/2 cups)
- 6 oz brown sugar (3/4 cup)
- 1tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- pinch salt
- 7 fl oz sunflower oil (3/4 cup)
- 8 oz raisins and peel (1 3/4 cups)
- 1tbsp golden syrup
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a small bowl and then add to the dry. (I know
- raisins aren’t ‘wet’ but if you cover them with oil they don’t get lumps of flour stuck
- in their wrinkles!)
- Mix all ingredients together gently whilst slowly adding in about a cup of water.
- When fully combined it should be a thickish dropping consistency.
- Oil and flour your cake tins or use some non-stick baking parchment.
- Pour into a large round cake tin and decorate with blanched almonds and glace
- Bake at 180c, gas 4 for about an hour. It is cooked when it is golden and spiringy,
- or a cake tester comes out clean, or your kitchen smells completely amazing!
Instead of using a round cake tin you can make this in an oblong tin (mine is
25x30cm). Then when it is cool it can be cut into squares and is great for packed
lunches or picnics. If you use this shape tin it will only take 30 – 40 minutes instead
of an hour to cook. Before cutting I usually drizzle mine with icing made from icing
sugar and water.